27 October 2016 / Club News

Fearsome Friendship in the Rugby Family.

There was always going to be a deep underlying emotional effect on last weekend’s rugby. Through Rhondda Cynon Taff and all through the South Wales Valleys the resounding support for the Aberfan 50 Year Memorial overshadowed sporting competition. But reminded us how little villages come together seamlessly when faced with overwhelming adversity.

Referee Gary Thomas oversaw a rather raw minute’s silence in Beddau as players, coaches and supporters all saw eye to eye for 60 seconds. As a neutral looking in I would have to say the Beddau team looked the stronger with what looked like the entire village warming up in one half. F Troop on the other hand, true to form, still had stragglers arriving at 2.15pm. As I’m clearly not a neutral I was expecting a real tough afternoon at the office, and I was pleasantly not disappointed.

Beddau had the better of the opening exchanges, clearly being a lot more organised, they dominated the first 5 or so minutes, squandering one penalty but hitting home a vital other to take the lead. During these fierce exchanges F Troop managed to lose out of place scrum half Matthew Diffey as well, suffering a broken nose, which let’s face it made no difference to his face as a back row player. He was closely followed by Gwyther hurting his arm, a recent scan revealing only his ego was damaged.

Geraint Dallimore, another back row specialist, jumped into scrum half as the pack rejigged which strangely galvanised the Penallta pack who started to make inroads into the Beddau 22m, aided by power players Jak Evans and Dan Moseley in the centre and guided by Scotty Edwards at 10. Gezza’s  new found ability to express his other talents at 9 was inspired, although he did manage to sneak a few tackles in to make sure young Viney remembered the heated competition for back row places at Penallta.

Despite both sides set piece being honestly atrocious F Troop gained a foothold in the opposing 22m due to some front row indiscretion – (I’m not going to pretend I know what goes on in there.) From the resulting line out F Troops forwards and out of position wing Kris Soroko battered the Beddau line with about as much finesse as a gorilla in a pottery class. Eventually this paid off with fleet of foot  Scotty sniping over for a close range try, and coolly slotted the conversion to put F Troop in the lead, which the Troop managed to hold onto until half time.

Beddau rallied after this rare let down and came back ferociously as the exchanges became more heated and heated after the break. It’s clear Beddau have a great prospect in their ranks at 15 in Tom Benjamin, and the fact he slotted over nearly a 50 yard penalty to retake the lead just after the half, meant the Troop had to keep their disciplinary problems at the breakdown in check especially in their own half.

F Troop, keeping with their power game, made a few forays into the Beddau 22m but weren’t able to find the clinical edge to convert the chances. Much to the audible frustration of Lloyd Bodman and John  Coleman respectively, highlighted by Coleman’s old man pointing out it was the first time he’d heard him swear. Bothe teams made inroads into each other’s halves like a ping pong match on the pitch, but neither had the surgical guile to convert any of the territory into points.

It took a moment of magic to turn what was ultimately a forward dominated game into something special. After a loose exit kick from the Troop’s own line, Full back Benjamin collected just inside his own half. Spotting the most miniscule of gaps on the blind he raced forward and cut back inside, leaving the Troop defence at a standstill and scoring under the sticks. The only blot on his copy book was not converting the try!

With Beddau 13 – 7 up, it was time for the Troop to rally and rally they did. In the last 15 minutes, the troop withstood one onslaught on their own line but in return spent the last of the game camped on Beddau’s line.  Unceremoniously battering away and being let down by their own set-piece, the Troop was unable to find the key to unlock the defence. When official Thomas blew to close the game, F Troop were out on their feet and I think Beddau were equally relieved.

Any ill feeling and competition was soon forgotten back at Beddau RFC as Mal and the Committee treated us to their renowned warm welcome and it was greatly appreciate by the Troopers who were well in need of a long hard sit down. So tired were they in fact that no one noticed that Donkey wasn’t on the bus on the way home. Some say he’s still walking home from Beddau with his kit bag over his shoulder.


Accurate to the best of my ability, Rob Jones.

Martyn Rowe was away.


  1. Matthew Davies
  2. Rhys Gwyther
  3. Lewis Quarry
  4. Leon Berrill
  5. Lloyd Bodman
  6. Geraint Dallimore
  7. Jonathon Viney
  8. Craig Morris
  9. Matthew Diffey
  10. Scott Edwards
  11. Kris Soroko
  12. Jac Evans
  13. Dan Moseley
  14. Damien Sullivan
  15. Steven Smith
  16. Carl Smythe
  17. Matthew Flower
  18. John Coleman
  19. Shaun  Shemwell

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments